What is Orthognathic Surgery?Orthognathic surgery is a form of corrective jaw surgery that is designed to treat more significant skeletal and dental irregularities. This surgery aims to improve the patient’s ability to chew, speak, and bite. It corrects functional problems with the patient’s teeth through careful and corrective surgery and orthodontics. This procedure is done while in orthodontic therapy and is performed by a maxillofacial surgeon (OMS).
Why is Orthognathic Surgery Needed?Some of the different conditions that may indicate the need for this orthognathic jaw surgery is:
- Having difficulty in chewing or biting food
- Chronic dental pain or certain TMJ disorders
- Excessive wear and tear of the teeth
- Facial injury or unbalanced facial appearance
- Difficulty or an inability to make the lips meet without excessive strain
- Sleep apnea